Friday, September 22, 2006

JAY WOUNDED. LEAVING DARFUR STRUGGLE.

Self-inflicted wounds.

To many, Rachel Corrie is a profoundly controversial figure. I did not know that yesterday. I could have. Maybe I should have known. But I did not.

To me, for me, her Truth is Simple: everyone, EVERYONE IS FAMILY, IMMEDIATE FAMILY, PART OF OUR BODY, EXACTLY, TOTALLY. Everyone is to be treasured. Israelis, Arabs, Christians, Muslims, white, black.... EVERY VICTIM IS TO BE SHIELDED WITH YOUR OWN BODY. ANY VICTIM. ANYONE'S AGONY IS TO BE EVERYONE'S AGONY, UNTIL WE MAKE IT STOP FOR US ALL. "This has to stop. I think it is a good idea for us all to drop everything and devote our lives to making this stop. I don’t think it’s an extremist thing to do anymore." That is how it is with me.

But today I see what yesterday, Thursday, I did not. There has been a political firestorm around Rachel that people have created to help polarize and hate each other. In stepping into this I have unknowingly boobytrapped myself as an enormous potential distraction from whatever cowardly, minuscule efforts to Save Darfur that we might otherwise mount.

I expect that I will immediately withdraw from the activities and position I have been fulfilling to solitary fast and prayer, for as long as I am able.

I will continue to pray that we morbidly cowardly brothers and sisters here in the US and worldwide shake off our cowardice and enter the antiviolent WAR FOR DARFUR; that the cancer that has eaten away our humanity, eaten away our body of which Darfur is a part, is CURED. That we reclaim our body, all of it, treasure it, PROTECT IT, and heal it. THAT WE RESCUE AND RESTORE DARFUR, NOW.

Good by, Brother Jay

No comments: